For the experts at using ND and Grad filters, I though I'd just ask a quick Q on how you actually use them, in terms of the sequence of events in taking a shot.
So, as I understand it;
For ND Grads you meter the bright area (typically the sky) an meter the dark area, and figure out the difference (in stops) - this gives you the strength of Grad to use (assuming you have a choice).
For ND filters you meter without the grads (in the dark area if subsequently combining with Grad filter), calculate the number of stops required for the shutter speed you want, this gives the strength of ND filter you want.
The sequence (I am guessing), is then
1) Compose shot.
2) Set focus (either manual of AF).
3) Switch to MF to lock the focus.
4) Switch to manual, set exposure for dark area, then adjust for ND's
4) Slot in Grad & adjust height.
5) Slot in ND.
6) Take shot, review, adjust expose and re-shoot as required.
Does this sound right, or is a different sequence better?