Sorry this message is so late, but I just had to reply since my Sony 18-70 mm kit lens was reporting the same error message. The fix I used is a little extreme, so please bear with me. After trying the qtip and cleaning solution method on the brass contacts to no avail, I got a little more radical and used a small amount of emery cloth on the contacts. After my lens was sitting idle for about a year, I figured, what the heck I'll either fix it or completely trash it. Eureka! the emery cloth worked and my lens performs flawlessly. Apparently, there was a fair amount of oxidation on the contacts and the fine grit of the emery cloth was enough to "resurface" it and enable it to make contact again. If you've tried everything else and other lenses work fine on the camera, give this method a try. Just don't get too aggressive with the emery cloth. Thanks.