Thanks for inquiring. I made some notes on Thursday. Hope I took out the bad words ... Mostly written March 15 ...
Sony is fixing my A77. It has been rife with error and mix up … A few days after it arrived in Toronto I got an email with a quote to fix the flip down screen for $300 because it was broken! I called right away and said the screen is fine. Dani said she'd look into it. Two days later I get another quote to fix the screen. Again! So I called and actually got the tech center and the lady said she'd look into it. Then a couple of days ago I got an email saying the repairs would be under warranty but it did not say what they were doing.
• Yesterday (March14), Paul from Sony called to tell me the repairs were being covered under warranty. When I told him I knew that because Joseph had sent me an email he sounded surprised I knew and he was not aware Joseph had emailed me. They don't seem to have a common/shared file on a work order..he had no idea Joe had written.
• Re: "broken screen" ... which, thank God, I called about ... Paul told me the reason they "presumed" the mirror was defective was when I installed the protective screen cover I had failed to get it dead flat in one small spot and there was a small area (~10 by 8 mm) of "Newton" rings
on the screen. No bother to me and not mentioned as part of the two issues for which the camera was submitted. Good grief they were going to replace the screen for $300 because of the Sony protective screen cover has some rings on it?
• They are unable to duplicate the "camera error" … meaning as soon as the camera is returned, I will see it again???
• Paul told me that a technician determined that something was misaligned and a minor adjustment had been made between the "plains" of something something...sounded like something was not aligned correctly. So was something misaligned and causing ghosts? Shall see I guess.
• They seem to be replacing the mirror and are awaiting its arrival and that could be a couple of days or a lot longer. Paul said they were awaiting a "POI something " which is the mirror.
At least they called with an update. That's good. But I am still worried because these guys are messing with my camera and they wanted to replace a perfectly good screen even though I had sent 12 pages of documentation of the two problems plus ten 8 by 10-inch photos of ghost examples. So I await the repairs and expect to see my A77 within two weeks. Maybe they will have fixed it and maybe not.
Except for the ghosting problems (and recent "camera error" issue), the A77 has worked well and I've taken some nice snapshots with it...the best ever for me. I lust for an A99, but admit to being "Sony shy" right now.