Sony Digital Camera Forums
General Chat - not just photography => General Photography Talk => Topic started by: marc pk on May 01, 2013, 07:35:50 AM
After reading the posts regarding new copyright legislation, I decided to unauthorize the viewing by all of my pictures on Flickr (I was about to add several hundred...) until I better understand what action I must take to protect them. Its not that I have any pretensions, but I read Gary Friedman's article in the last issue of Cameracraft and saw what happened to the pictures he took in China ten years ago - including one in particular known as Thumbs Up... And the posts on this Forum regarding new legislation, well, pushed me to do this. What are your views on the issue? I've asked Gary last night if he wouldn't mind writing an article on how to best protect one's pictures... Does any one have any knowledge on this topic? I don't...
I'll protect my pictures just keeping them small in size, less than 200 kB often under 100 kB, which makes them useless for any serious usage.
A very wise man once told me 'dont post what you dont want stolen' :)
Personally, I am not 'too' worried over the new legislation. 95% of my photographic income is from weddings, portraits and commissioned work, the other 5% is from picture sales, pictures that I have generally created for my enjoyment.
I think where problems may occur for allot of people is if/when their work is used out of its intended context, this could have an adverse effect on their reputation and put people off.
In respects of protecting your images, like Kurt said, I would post as small as possible without taking away the enjoyment factor of your images. I would make sure EXIF/Meta data is embedded in all images and that the sites I uploaded them to preserved this data. I generally watermark my images, the watermark normally includes a web link and or email address, I also hide a very small signature in some of my images.
At the end of the day through, if someone wants to use an image, they will. With the power of Photoshop these days, watermarks can be cloned out with easy or the image can simply be cropped. Large print/online organisations have done and will continue to use pictures without prior permission to meet the ever shrinking time demands of modern age. As we have seen in the UK, consequences, if any are faced later and generally amount to a slapped wrist and a small amount of compensation if anything at all.
I am an amateur so if an image is used without my permission, I would be annoyed but that is it.
I agree, best protection is just make them less than 200kb which is our size limit.
They can still be viewed on a web but if anyone tried to print them they would be terrible.
Personally I have a "thing" about prominent watermarks and will bypass the image if a person persists with them so would hate the DD to go that way... john
Since posting the start of this thread, I reactivated my Flickr activity and posted BURMA REDUX so that I could share with DD some shots; however, they are now much smaller in size.
Also, I had a lengthy exchange of e-mails with Gary Friedman; he basically agrees with what has been said so far in this thread. He asked me not to post his written comments to me as it got him thinking about an article for his newsletter; when it come out, I'll post a link here.
You will recall I asked Gary Friedman for his opinion on this subject. Here it is:
I work in online advertising, and the truth is that the biggest user of your work (especially those posted on social media, including flikr and Instagram as well as facebook) in years to come will be us advertisers.
This is what social media are aiming at with all their slight policy changes (Instagram ‘licensing’ your work and then swearing blind that you don’t need to worry because you still own your images, Facebook making your content searchable, and then changing the settings forms so that it is difficult to find the checkbox that prevents this, etc, etc).
I write the software that would allow advertisers to utilise your image feeds as part of my day job, and have written an article on what advertisers’ end game really is, and how you can avoid it: http://howgreenisyourgarden.wordpress.com/2012/12/22/on-instagram-and-ownership-an-advertisers-viewpoint/
As you will see, one thing you should really do is turn that Sony geo-tagging off...
I agree, Thanks Shamb, a very interesting read...john