If you are displaying your images on a web site, at a camera club or in a portfolio, presentation can go a long way to the success of your image.
By just adding a thin border to your image, you can instantly give your image a more polished and professional look.
This is one way to do it, although there are many other ways too:
1. Produce your image as you want it
2. Resize it to your desired presentation size
3. Perform any sharpening if needed
4. Assuming your image is now flattened with only a background layer
5. Select the whole layer by pressing Ctrl + A or by holding down Ctrl and clicking in the little thumbnail next to the background layer in the layers pallette.
6. Go to Edit > Stroke
7. Choose a suitable colour, white or black generally work well
8. Choose a width. For a thin border 10px should be fine but this does depend on the overall size of your image.
9. Select Inside - this will mean that some of your image will be hidden under the border
10. Click OK
11. Press Ctrl + D to deselect the selection
12. Save the image.